Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Passion for Travel #2: 1000 Places to See Before You Die


Continuing from my last blog...

Just over 2 years ago, I came across this New York Times #1 bestseller called, "1000 Places to See Before You Die". Maybe you can call buying this book a big mistake, cause I think I got more obsessed about traveling. Throughout the 900 pages of this book, it lists and gives a brief description of 1000 places that people should visit before they die (yea, like thats really possible) and it breaks it down into continents. Really concise descriptions of some of the most amazing places on earth. So, I bought this book and out of curiosity I marked all the places that I've gone so far, and its pretty depressing... So out of 1000 places, I've seen 44 places... That's like 4.4%. Sucks hu??

Anyway, I would really recommend this book to anyone who shares the dream that I have.

Here is the list of places that I've seen that's in the book (also not every places I've seen are included in this book):

Europe

1) Chatsworth House, Bakewell, England

2) London, England
3) Hadrian's Wall, Northumberland, England
4) Stratford-Upon-Avon, England

5) York Minster, York, England

6) Vienna, Austria
7) Paris, France

8) Chateau de Versailles, Versailles, France
9) Chamonix & Mont Blanc, France
10) Brandenburg Gate, Berlin, Germany
11) The Acropolis, Athens, Greece
12) Venice, Italy

13) Rijks Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands

14) Van Gogh Museum, Netherlands
15) Jungfraujoch, Bernese, Switzerland
16) Castle District, Prague, Czech Republic
17) Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic

18) Old Town Square, Prague, Czech Republic

19) Castle Hill, Budapest, Hungary

20) The Danube Bend, Budapest, Hungary
21) Rynek Glowny, Krakow, Poland

22) Wawel Hill, Krakow, Poland
23) Red Square, Moscow, Russia

24) Vikingskipheuset (Viking Museum), Oslo, Norway
25) Operakallaren, Stockholm, Sweden
26) Vasamuseet (Vasa Museum), Stockholm, Sweden


Asia
27) Hong Kong, China

28) Taal Volcano, Luzon, Philippines

29) Koh Phi Phi, Thailand
30) Phuket, Thailand


North America
31) The Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA

32) Hollywood, California, USA
33) Hotel del Coronado, San Diego, USA

34) Ohau, Hawaii, USA

35) The Las Vegas Strip, Nevada, USA
36) New York City, NY, USA
37) Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah, USA
38) Park City and Wasatch Range, Utah, USA

39) Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Utah, USA
40) Pike Place Market, Seattle, USA

41) The National Mall, DC, USA
42) The Smithsonian, DC, USA
43) Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

44) Teotihuacan & Nat. Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City, Mexico


Like I said, these are not all the places I've been to, its just the ones that are included in this book. I'm actually pretty annoyed the fact that this book leaves Korea out entirely!! What were they thinking.

Anyhow, so I've lived almost a 1/4 of a century and only managed to cover 4.4% of what the book says I need to see before I die. If I kept at this pace, I would be 568 years old by the time I see all 1000 places. Now do you see why this book make me so much more motivated and at the same time sooo depressed????

So, in the end, I think I'm very grateful that God had made this work to be soo interesting and beautiful, cause if it weren't, I my passion would not exist anymore. So, just to sum up and just in case you haven't figure it out already, I LOVE TRAVELING!!!!

No comments: